[SPCC] University Planning Day---Main Themes (Table 3)

Roberts, Gary O roberts at alfred.edu
Thu Jan 22 10:09:21 EST 2015

Dear Colleagues,
Here are the themes that were derived from table 3 discussion:

  1.  A sense of isolation and deficiency of collaboration among the divisions or schools
  2.  An understanding that developing a strong identity would remediate many of our issues…perhaps taking a bold or unorthodox approach would distinguish us (table 3 members coined the term "Crea-ageous" for describing Alfred as being both creative and courageous.  One of our members drew up an identity map (see attached notes) consisting of three main pillars: Celebrate geography/location, Socially progressive history, and small university (diversity of programs and collaborative study).
  3.  An understanding that remote domestic and international campus locations will play an increasing role in our economic viability.

Gary O. Roberts
Director of Information Technology
Alfred University
1 Saxon Drive, Alfred, NY 14802